The pictures here show the involtini stuffed with herbed ricotta as well as herbed ricotta mixed with sautéed chard. I like the addition of the chard but know that you can make these with a simple seasoned ricotta if that's more appealing: Just season the ricotta with salt, lemon zest, and thyme to taste.
- 1 pound zucchini, about 2 large
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 10 ounces Swiss chard, leaves removed and finely chopped, stems reserved for another use
- 1 1/2 cups high-quality whole milk ricotta
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups favorite fresh tomato sauce
- Parmigiano Reggiano, for serving, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from food52.com
in a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. When chard has cooled briefly, stir it into the ricotta mixture. Taste mixture. Add more salt to taste—this is your chance to make sure the filling is seasoned properly.
Spoon tomato sauce into two 9-inch round baking dishes or one 9x13-inch baking dish—the bottom of the dish should be covered in a thin layer. Place a spoonful (about 2 teaspoons) of filling at one end of each of the zucchini slices. Roll the slice into a tight coil and place it seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the sauce has reduced slightly and is bubbling, and the rolls are lightly golden on top, about 25 minutes. If the rolls are still not golden after the 25 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and preheat the broiler. Broil the involtini for about 3 minutes keeping a close watch the entire time. Remove pan from the oven and shave Parmesan over top if using. I like using my microplane for this.
You'll also love
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (216 Votes)
- Spinach Dip Wreath 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Peach Pie by Aunt Bee 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cranberry-Almond Broccoli Salad 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Arkansas Green Beans 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli with Sautéed... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chocolate granola bars 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH MATZO LASAGNA 4.3/5 (3 Votes)