- 4 sub rolls (6-inch)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (at least 90% lean) , cooked and drained
- 1 1/4 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 TB ketchup (plus more for topping)
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or mixture of Cheddar, monterey jack & colby
- salt & pepper to taste (about a tsp. each)
Preheat oven to 450. Split rolls in half (lengthwise). Bake rolls for about 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted and golden. In a medium bowl, begin preparing your meatloaf mixture.
Combine ground beef, crushed crackers, egg, onion, milk, 4 TB ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
Top toasted buns with meat mixture. Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like). Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
make 8 halves