Crock Pot Chicken Matzo Ball Soup
The ultimate comfort soup–and your slow cooker does all the work!
- 2 lb bone-in chicken (thighs, legs or breasts), skin removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup matzo ball mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 510mins
1. Add first 10 ingredients (chicken through salt) to a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook covered on low heat for 8 hours.
2. Once cooked, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and discard the bones. The chicken should just fall apart, but if there are large pieces, use a fork to shred. Then return chicken to the soup.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, stir together the matzo ball mix, vegetable oil and eggs until combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill. Then remove and shape the mix into 1-inch balls.
4. Carefully place the balls back in the soup, and cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
5. Season the soup one final time with additional salt and pepper if needed. Then serve!