Pumpkin, Corn, and Lemongrass Soup
Soup can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, uncovered, until cool, then covered. Reheat over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 1 fresh lemongrass stalk, root end trimmed and 1 or 2 outer layers discarded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds kabocha or butternut squash
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (10 ounces; from 2 to 3 ears)
- 5 cups water
- Garnish: cilantro leaves
Cut off and discard top of lemongrass, leaving a 6-inch stalk, then smash stalk with side of a large heavy knife.
Cook lemongrass, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt in butter and oil in a heavy medium pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Add squash, corn, water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard lemongrass.
Purée soup in 3 or 4 batches in a blender until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), straining each batch as blended through a fine-mesh sieve into a large heatproof bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids. Season with salt and pepper and reheat if necessary.
You'll also love
- Parsnip and Apple Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buffalo Patatas Bravas (Potatoes) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cold Avocado Corn Soup with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Yucatan-Style Chicken, Lime, and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple-Cheddar-Squash Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fresh corn fritters 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Acorn Squash 0/5 (0 Votes)