- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 white fish fillets, 1/2"-thk - (5 oz ea) (such as orange roughy or sole)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup drained canned sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup frozen peas thawed, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch diluted in
- 1/2 cup water
Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Set aside. Combine wine, 3 tablespoons cornstarch and flour in medium bowl. Add fish to flour and turn to coat.
Add enough oil to heavy large skillet to come 1 inch up sides. Heat to 365 degrees. Fry fish until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to heated platter.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons oil from skillet. Add vegetables, ginger and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Add vinegar mixture and stir 2 minutes. Add dissolved cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Spoon over fish and serve.
This recipe yields 2 servings.