Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs - Diana Rattray
Crazy easy to make, these sweet and sour meatballs with an Asian inspired sauce are to die for! Makes an excellent appetizer or main dish served with rice or noodles. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef, at least 85%
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, low sodium, or low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons fine plain bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated or finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium, or low sodium tamari
- 1 large sweet bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can pineapple chunks
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 380mins
Adapted from southernfood.about.com
In a large bowl, combine ground beef with the beaten egg, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, the salt and pepper, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, bread crumbs, and minced onion. Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly brown meatballs in the vegetable oil. Drain well.
Transfer meatballs to slow cooker. If you prefer, you may also bake the meatballs in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan in a 350°F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, cornstarch, sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and bell pepper; stir to blend. Pour over meatballs.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in pineapple with juice. If thicker juices are desired, combine more cornstarch with a little cold water and add, stirring, until thickened.
Serve with hot cooked rice.
You'll also love
- No-Bake Chocolate Ganache Tart 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Frozen Champagne Cream in... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Amish Onion Patties 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Pull Apart Bread 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Crustless Bacon & Cheese Quiche 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Hot Buffalo Chicken Meatball... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)