Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1medium head1 medium head cauliflower
- 1large1 large egg
- 2Tablespoons2 Tablespoons (30ml) cooking oil, divided
- 1/2medium1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2cloves2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2cup1/2 cup (120ml) diced frozen carrots
- 1/2cup1/2 cup (120ml) frozen peas
- 2Tablespoons2 Tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce *for gluten-free use tamari
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 22 green onions, diced
- optional: kosher salt
- more optional vegetables: celery, broccoli, corn, spinach
Mince cauliflower into very small crumbled pieces, resembling the size of rice or larger because the cauliflower will shrink as it cooks. You can use a food processor to get this texture, but be careful to not process the cauliflower too much or it will become mushy. We prefer to hand mince everything to get the small texture, so it still remains firm when cooked.
Heat large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent.
Add cauliflower and sauté until tender, but not mushy soft. Add the peas and carrots and stir until combined.
Add the beaten egg, soy sauce, sesame oil and black pepper. Stir until the egg coats all of the cauliflower and becomes cooked.
If needed, add additional kosher salt to taste. Add green onions and stir until everything is combined.