Tuscan Lentil Soup
- 1/2 lb brown lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 4 oz olive oil
- 12 peppercorns, roughly crushed
1. Put the lentils in a large pot with the onion, celery, carrot and stock, and simmer for about 1 hour or until tender. Towards the end of the cooking time, remove the lid so that the liquid reduces a little.
2. When the vegetables are cooked, add the garlic, anchovies, parsley, sage, oil and peppercorns. Stir to combine, then remove the soup from the heat and leave to stand for at least an hour.
Reheat and Serve