Meatball Cups (not strict paleo - gluten free)
- 1 pound pork italian sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 white onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 package of Cappello's lasagna (cut into 4-5 inch squares)
- 1/2 cup shredded grass fed cheese (your choice of brand- I used Kerrygold)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place italian sausage, bell peppers, onions, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon oregano and salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well to incorporate.
Create 12 meatballs with the mixture.
Heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan and cook on all sides until brown and slightly cooked. Once they are cooked on all sides (about 15 minutes), put on a plate to cool enough to handle.
With the same pan you just cooked the meatballs in, still over medium heat, add tomato sauce, ½ teaspoon thyme and ½ teaspoon oregano, along with fresh basil and salt and pepper, to taste. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
Once the tomato sauce has mixed together, remove from heat.
Cut pieces of parchment paper into about 5-6 inch squares. Place a lasagna square on top of the parchment paper and press into a muffin tin. No need to try to be perfect, just press down and up onto the sides of the muffin tin. Plop a meatball inside, scoop about 1-2 teaspoons of sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese.
Repeat with all meatballs
Place in oven, on the bottom rack to keep lasagna from burning, and cook for for 35-40 minutes or until meatballs are completely cooked through.