Paleo CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE (GRAIN-FREE, PALEO)
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored, grass-fed gelatin
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons frozen palm shortening, cut into tablespoons
- For the Pudding:
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3 cups whole milk or full-fat, canned coconut milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate or chocolate chips , chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (use this method to whip the coconut cream)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey
Adapted from deliciouslyorganic.net
Place almond flour, coconut flour, salt, gelatin and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add egg yolk and butter and pulse 10 times until mixture begins to clump. Continue to process until mixture forms a dough. Place dough on a large piece of plastic wrap. Form the dough into a 9-inch disk, wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to the middle position. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and place in a buttered 9-inch glass pie dish . Press dough into the pie plate, making sure to come up the sides of the plate. Place a piece of unbleached parchment paper on top of the crust and cover with some beans or pie weights . Bake for 11 minutes then move the parchment paper and pie weights. Bake for an additional 11 minutes until the crust is just golden brown. Cool.
Whisk arrowroot, sugar, cocoa powder and sea salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, while whisking constantly, about 5 minutes. When mixture comes to a boil, continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes until the mixture becomes a thick pudding. Remove from the heat and pour in the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Pour the pudding into the baked pie crust and top with a piece of unbleached parchment paper (this prevents the pudding from forming a skin). Refrigerate for 4 hours.
Pour cream and maple syrup in the bowl of a standing mixer. Whisk on medium-high until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Spoon whipped cream on top of the chocolate pudding. Serve cold.