Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups online, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (divided)
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced olives, drained (divided)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 2 cups 1% low fat milk
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side, or until done. Remove chicken from skillet and let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.
3. Re-coat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper and tomatoes; cook 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid had evaporated. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir in remaining green onions, olives and chilies into chicken mixture; set aside.
4. Combine flour, salt, cumin and coriander in medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.
5. Place cheeses in bowl; toss well and set aside.
6. Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of casserole dish. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set aside remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture.
7. Bake, uncovered, or 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, reserved green onions and olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa.