Hearty vegetable soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 small potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (can also substitute with cauliflower)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can rotel
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tomatoes, diced (or substitute with 1 14 ounce can)
. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Next stir in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any remaining fat.
2. Stir in potatoes, celery and carrots, rotel, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a light simmer and then stir in the balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper and tomatoes.
3. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes (or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender), stirring occasionally.
4. Top with fresh basil if desired.