Spiced Parsnip Soup
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup creamy yogurt
- 1 Tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add onion, leek, sugar, ginger, turmeric and nutmeg. Cook until the onion and leek are soft. Add the parsnips and potato and cook, covered an additional 5 minutes over a low heat. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Blend/Puree contents of saucepan until smooth. Return to pan and gently reheat. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls, swirl in a little yogurt and garnish with the chopped pistachios.