Split Pea Soup with Ham
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb Prosciutto or Pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas, washed and picked over
- 1/2 cup green split peas, washed and picked over
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup croutons, for garnish
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the ham and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the bay leaf, split peas, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer for 45 minutes or so, until the split peas are cooked and soup has thickened. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the chopped parsley.
3. Serve in bowls and garnish with croutons