Oat and Apple Pancakes with Yogurt and Honey
From Nov 2016 Bon Appetit Magazine.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted, slightly cooled, plus more for skillet
- 1 medium apple (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), peeled, cored, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Plain yogurt (for serving)
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Whisk flour, oats, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl; mix into dry ingredients.
Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium; brush with oil. Place 2 apple slices in skillet, spacing about ½" apart, and cook until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Turn over and pour ⅓ cup batter over apples, spreading batter to cover. Cook pancake until bottom is golden brown and bubbles form on the surface, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through and other side is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining apple slices and batter, brushing griddle with more oil as needed.
Serve pancakes with yogurt and more maple syrup.