Chowchow is a delicious sweet and sour relish. This chowchow features pieces of charred and crunchy onions with a smokey flavor. Works perfectly for all types of grilled beef or poultry or as a hot dog relish. Enjoy!
- 2 sweet onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 jalapeños
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Light a grill. Skewer each onion slice with a toothpick. Thread the jalapenos on a skewer. Brush the onions and jalapenos with olive oil and grill over a hot fire until charred but still slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and skewer. Coarsely chop the onions. Peel and chop the jalapenos.
In a medium saucepan, combine the cider vinegar with the light brown sugar, grainy and Dijon mustards, caraway seeds and turmeric and bring to a simmer. Add the onions and jalapenos and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture, add it to the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
The chowchow is perfect with all types of grilled meat or poultry or as a hot dog relish.
You'll also love
- Emeril's Stuffed Shrimp with... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Lemon Jam 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Muffin Tin Tacos 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Beef & Pork Burgers with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Crockpot Chinese Beef & Broccoli 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Parmesan Zucchini Fries 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Onion Confit 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Ham & Beans - Instant Pot 4.5/5 (10 Votes)