Smoky Barbecued Beef Brisket Sandwiches
- 1 2 to 2 1/2 lb fresh beef brisket
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns
Adapted from zipongo.com
1) Trim fat from brisket. Cut brisket to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Place onion in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, celery seeds, and pepper. Sprinkle chili powder mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in the slow cooker over onion.
2) In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, if using, and dry mustard. Pour over brisket in cooker.
3) Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
4) Remove brisket from cooker to a cutting board. Remove onion from cooker with a slotted spoon to a small bowl, reserving cooking juices. Skim fat off cooking juices; measure 3/4 cup of the cooking juices. For sauce: In a small saucepan, stir the cold water into flour; add the 3/4 cup cooking juices. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
5) Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Place about 3 ounces cooked meat atop each bun bottom. Top with onions and drizzle each with about 1-1/2 tablespoons sauce to serve.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Baked in Foil with Sweet... 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Tasty Tender Pork Tenderloin 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Tennessee Whiskey Pork Chops 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Baked Beef Tenderloin 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheese Curd Pork and Beef Burgers... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Barbecued Beef Brisket 4.3/5 (3 Votes)