Chicken Baked in Foil with Sweet Potato and Radish
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 radishes, trimmed and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick, layers separated
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Adapted from cookscountry.com
Spray centers of four 20 by 12-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil with vegetable oil spray. Microwave oil, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl until garlic begins to brown, 1 to 1½ minutes. Combine potato slices, radishes, celery, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic oil in large bowl.
2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon salt evenly over each side of each chicken breast, then season with pepper. Position 1 piece of prepared foil with long side parallel to counter edge. In center of foil, arrange one-quarter of potato slices in 2 rows perpendicular to counter edge. Lay 1 chicken breast on top of potato slices. Place one-quarter of vegetables around chicken. Repeat with remaining foil, potato slices, chicken, and vegetables. Drizzle any remaining oil mixture from bowl over chicken.
3. Bring short sides of foil together and crimp to seal tightly. Crimp remaining open ends of packets, leaving as much headroom as possible inside packets. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
4. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Arrange packets on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until chicken registers 160 degrees, 18 to 23 minutes. (To check temperature, poke thermometer through foil and into chicken.) Let chicken rest in packets for 3 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken packets to individual dinner plates, carefully open (steam will escape), and slide contents onto plates. Drizzle vinegar over chicken and vegetables and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.
Leave headroom (empty space) at the top to facilitate steam circulation.
Arrange carrots and onions next to the chicken.
Place potato slices on the bottom to insulate the chicken.
EXTRA CREDIT: Place one packet on extra foil. After you’ve poked a thermometer through the packet to check the temperature of the chicken, you can reseal the packet with the extra sheet.
You'll also love
- APPLE PIE MOONSHINE COCKTAIL 3.8/5 (20 Votes)
- Chicken Tacos-Spicy Cider Beer... 4/5 (6 Votes)
- avocado, tomato, sprouts & pepper... 3.7/5 (7 Votes)
- sweet and spicy asparagus 3.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Baked Potato Soup (like Cheddars) 3.8/5 (60 Votes)
- Earl's Hot Potato Salad 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Basil and Garlic Mashed Sweet... 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Creamy Skillet Tortellini with... 3.8/5 (10 Votes)