Beef Lo Mein
- 1 pound flank steak, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced across the grain in thin slices
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles (lo mein noodles)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 carrots, cut julienne
- 8 about 8 leaves Chinese cabbage or romaine lettuce, cut in crosswise shreds
- 1 small (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
Mix beef with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Chinese
rice wine or sherry, and the cornstarch. Let stand 20 minutes.
Combine remaining soy sauce and rice wine with oyster sauce
and sugar. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles, stirring
to separate. Cook about 2 minutes, until al dente. Drain,
rinse with cold water, and toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok. Add carrots and stir-fry 1
minute. Add shredded cabbage or lettuce and mushrooms and
stir-fry 1 minute longer. Remove.
Heat another tablespoon of oil in the wok. Add beef mixture
and stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove.
Wipe out wok. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Add
noodles and stir-fry until they are heated through. Stir in
vegetables and beef. Add sauce and stir-fry to mix well.