Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie
This recipe is courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling the dough
- 1 1/2 tsp confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cubed, plus more for the pie pan
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- 1 (15oz) can unsweetened pumpkin puree, preferably Libby's
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9 inch pie pan with butter.
2. Make the crust: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, confectioners sugar, and salt. Work the shortening and butter in with your fingers until the mixture resembles small peas. Add almost all of the ice water and continue to mix with your fingers. Add the remaining water if the dough feels too dry or crumbly to come together. Transfer the dough to a flat surface and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling to allow the dough to rest.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out until it is at least 2-3 inches wider that the pie pan, about 3/16 inch thick. Gently fit the dough into the pie pan, pressing it into the bottom and the sides. Trim off any excess at the top and make a decorative edge if desired. Put the pan in the refrigerator to rest.
4. Make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sour cream, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Do not overtax.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until they double in volume, about 1 minute. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks for, 1-2 minutes more. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat until the whites become stiff and shiny, about 2 minutes more.
6. Assemble and bake the pie: Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the pumpkin filling. Take care not to overmix. Set the pie pan on a baking sheet. Pour the filling into the pie pan. Bake until the top browns lightly, about 45 minutes. Gently shake the edge of the pie pan. the filling will jiggle slightly but should appear set. Allow the pie to cool on a rack before serving.