Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Fluffy rice is tossed with blanched broccoli and a rich sauce of Gruyère, cheddar and Velveeta. We add a few bread crumbs on top, but feel free to omit them for the perfect gluten-free casserole.
- 1 pound broccoli, stems peeled
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12-ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Adapted from tastingtable.com
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Cut the broccoli into small florets and finely chop the peeled stems. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Blanch the broccoli until vibrant green but still crisp, 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath to cool, then drain.
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and chicken stock over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is almost completely cooked, 10 minutes.
In a large saucepan, combine the rice with the Velveeta, grated cheeses and heavy cream over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the cheeses have melted into a smooth sauce that coats the rice, 8 to 10 minutes. Fold in the blanched broccoli, then season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish and smooth into an even layer with a spatula.
In a small bowl, toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter until evenly coated, then sprinkle the bread crumbs over the rice mixture.
Bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Shrimp & Roasted Pepper Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Greek Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- French Onion Soup - Slow Cooker 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon-Herb Sheet Pan Roasted... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Make-Ahead Brunch Casserole 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Spicy Honey-Glazed Ham 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Pesto Chicken Stuffed... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)