A deliciously sweet and vegan friendly cornbread made with whole corn kernels which adds a wonderful texture. Serve warm with vegan butter and enjoy!
- 1 heaping cup yellow cornmeal (175g)
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (150g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (15ml)
- 1 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk (240ml)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (115g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (100g)
- 2 tablespoons golden or maple syrup (30ml)
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole sweet corn (425g)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from lovingitvegan.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F. (200°F)
Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside.
Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
Melt the vegan butter in a pot on the stove with the brown sugar.
When the sugar is dissolved and butter melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, and the soy milk and apple cider vinegar mix.
Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry.
Add the flax egg.
Using a hand whisk, remove any lumps.
Lastly add the whole sweet corn pieces and mix in.
Pour the batter into a loaf pan (9x5-inch) that has been greased with coconut oil and lined with parchment paper at the base.
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You'll also love
- Kale Salad - Shallot, Toasted... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Tasty Tender Pork Tenderloin 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chili-Orange Shrimp with Broccoli... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient White Ziti 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Spinach Dip Wreath 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cranberry Cornbread Scones 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Southern Cornbread Dressing with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Onion Charlotte 4.3/5 (3 Votes)