Sweet Potato Chai Muffins
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 banana, peeled
- 2 chai tea bags (no sugar added)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar (or other sweetener – add more if you want sweeter muffins)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut crystals (to garnish muffins)
1. Preheat oven to 405 degrees. Cut sweet potato in half, place on baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until super soft. Remove skin.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
3. Place soft sweet potato and banana in the food processor and puree. Then add chai tea herbs from two bags (discarding the chai bags), pecans, flaxseed meal, baking soda and powder, and cinnamon. Puree until completely broken down and smooth.
4. Then add the wet ingredients: coconut oil, eggs, coconut nectar, and vanilla extract.
5. Puree until smooth.
6. Line muffin tin with paper or silicone liners and use an ice cream scoop to scoop out and pour ingredients into each cup. The ice cream scoop keeps the muffins equal in size.
7. Sprinkle each muffins with a bit of coconut crystals.
8. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes or until you poke them with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Let muffins cool before consuming, it helps the muffins meld together a bit more