Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 - 16 oz pkg of dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 cups diced ham (or combination of both)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs of celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 can of biscuits (for dumplings)
Adapted from catzinthekitchen.com
1. Layer all ingredients except biscuits in slow cooker in order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4-4 1/2 hours or low for 8-9 1/2 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone.
3. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired.
4. Cut each uncooked biscuit into 3 or 4 pieces and drop in soup. Cook for additional 30 minutes until dough is cooked