Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 stick (4 Oz.) unsalted butter
- 7 3 1/2 ounce bars semisweet chocolate 12 oz. chopped, 7.5 oz cut into 1-inch squares and the rest for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 30 marshmallows
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Let cool for 15 minutes
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. (if making the dough a day ahead, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping.)
4. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven: preheat to 325 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
6. remove the cookie sheets from the oven; gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallow are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes; grate the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks, let cool. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment.