French Onion Soup - Slow Cooker
French onion soup is popular for a reason, it's good! Unfortunately, it can be a big undertaking to prepare until I found this recipe! The slow cooker makes it so easy and it has all the great flavor you'd expect from this timeless classic dish. Enjoy!
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter (45 ml)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 quarts beef broth, no sodium added
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup croutons plain (500 ml)
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, sliced (236 ml)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 400mins
Adapted from cooktopcove.com
Place onions, butter, sugar and salt into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Turn to high, cover, and cook for 7 hours until onions are soft and brown.
Add beef broth, sherry, thyme sprigs, and pepper to taste. Cover then cook on high for another hour.
Remove lid from slow cooker and sprinkle croutons across the surface of the soup. Add sliced gruyere cheese, place lid back on slow cooker and cook for another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
You'll also love
- Turkish-Style Poached Eggs with... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon-Herb Sheet Pan Roasted... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken, Kale and Butternut Squash... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Holiday Baked Brie Wreath 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chipotle Creamed Spinach Phyllo... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Pesto Chicken Stuffed... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- 20 MINUTE BUTTER AND ONION TOMATO... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)