Herb-Buttered French Bread
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup butter - (1 1/2 sticks) room temperature
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 French bread baguettes halved lengthwise
Chop basil in processor. Add butter, capers, salt and generous amount of pepper and process until well combined. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring butter mixture to room temperature before using.)
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Arrange bread cut-side up on cookie sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Spread cut surfaces with basil butter. Cut crosswise and serve.
This recipe yields 20 pieces.