Springtime Irish Stew
Servings: 6 servings
Your pressure cooker makes this traditional Irish stew a breeze to make. The addition of leeks, herbs and peas creates a wonderful springtime flavor along with the tender beef, potatoes and carrots. From Williams=Sonoma.com Adapted from The Pressure Cooker Cookbook, by Tori Ritchie (Weldon Owen, 2012).
- 3 pounds boneless lamb stew (shoulder) meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned, white portion diced
- 1 bouquet garni, a collection of herbs (traditionally fresh parsley, fresh or dried thyme, and bay leaf)
- 2 cups low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 4 large carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
Pat the lamb dry with paper towels and season lightly all over with salt and pepper. In a stovetop pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Working in batches, brown the meat, turning with tongs. Transfer to a plate. Add the butter and leeks to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the bouquet garni and broth, then return the meat and juices to the pot. Lock the lid into place and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the steam release naturally. When the pressure valve drops, remove the lid, tilting it away from your face to allow residual steam to escape. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into quarters. Peel the carrots and cut them into chunks about 2 inches long and 1 inch thick. After removing the lid, discard the bouquet garni. Put the potatoes in the pot and scatter the carrots on top. Season lightly with salt (do not stir). Lock the lid into place and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick-release the steam. When the pressure valve drops, remove the lid, tilting it away from your face. Stir the peas, vinegar and dill into the pot. Place over medium heat and simmer until the peas are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.