Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Since there are only 2 of us, we halved this recipe and it was still plenty of food!!
Also, before baking I added a couple of splashes of milk because the sauce was really thick and I thought it needed more liquid.
After slicing the potatoes, place in a bowl of cold water to avoid browning. Drain before using potatoes.
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes, washed and very thinly sliced
- 1 lb. diced ham (about 4 Cups)
- fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 3 quart baking dish in nonstick cooking spray. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant and onions are tender. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook until sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Remove sauce from heat.
2. Place half the sliced potatoes in bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with half the ham, then pour on half the sauce. Repeat layers and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake covered 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is golden and bubbly. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.