Grilled Flank Steak, Onion And Bell Pepper Sandwiches
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 1/4 cups soy sauce
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 1/2 pounds flank steaks
- 6 large bell peppers cut 3/8" wide strips (red, yellow and/or green)
- 3 large red onions cut 1/2"-thk rings
- Grilled French Bread Rolls (see recipe)
Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Divide steaks, bell peppers and red onions among large shallow pans. Pour marinade over. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 6 hours.
Prepare barbecue (high heat). Drain steaks and vegetables. Grill steaks to desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare. Transfer to platter.
Grill vegetables until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes per side. Slice steaks thinly across grain. Arrange steaks and vegetable on large platter. Serve with Grilled French Bread Rolls, allowing diners to assemble sandwiches.
This recipe yields 12 servings.