Freezer Spaghetti Sauce
"It took all summer to grow your tomatoes, now use a slow cooker to make them into a versatile tomato sauce flavored with sauteed onion, garlic and bell pepper, and seasoned with oregano, basil, parsley, sugar and tomato paste."
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 vegetable oil
- 16 cups chopped tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes are the best)
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1. In a slow cooker saute together the onion, garlic, green pepper, and vegetable oil. Cook until onion is transparent.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 hours on low heat; stir frequently. Or, you can put in a large stockpot and let it cook for 3 - 4 hours.
3. Let sauce cool. Pour sauce into quart size freezer containers. Store in freezer.
4. When ready to use sauce, stir in can of tomato paste.