- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 med onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks trimmed, 1/4" pieces
- 2 carrots cut into 1/4" pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 pieces cooked bacon cut into 1/4" pieces
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 10 oz cans chopped clams in juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook potatoes and let cool. Heat the butter in large pot over med heat, Add onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened. Mixing often. Stir in flour to distribute evenly. Add the stock and juice from the clams. Simmer 20 mins. After simmered for 20 mins, add clams and potatoes, cook until clams are just firm, another two mins. Use a roux to thicken it a little and then add the cream. Do not boil once the cream is added.
To make roux: equal parts butter and flour: melt butter and stir in flour, continue stirring until roux is the consistency of sand.
Make sure you rinse the clams before adding to the chowder