Fish Market au Gratin Potatoes

The Fish Market is a small chain of seafood restaurants in California. This dish was one of my favorites sides they served!

Yes please and thank you!
Adapted from food.com
Yes please and thank you!
Yes please and thank you!

PREP TIME

30

minutes

TOTAL TIME

120

minutes

SERVINGS

6

servings

PREP TIME

30

minutes

TOTAL TIME

120

minutes

SERVINGS

6

servings

Adapted from food.com

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2

    pounds russet potatoes

  • 1/4

    cup unsalted butter or 1/4 cup olive oil

  • 1/4

    cup flour

  • 2 1/2

    cups milk

  • 4

    ounces sharp cheddar cheese

  • 1 to 1 1/2

    teaspoons kosher salt

  • 1/2

    teaspoon pepper

  • Paprika, sprinkle

Directions

Wash the unpeeled potatoes, poke about 6 to 8 holes with a fork and bake 45 minutes in 375°F oven for small to small/medium potatoes. For the bigger potatoes increase the baking time. They are done when you can easily pierce through the potato with a thin skewer. Remove from oven, cool a bit and peel. Slice the peeled potatoes into about half inch slices and set aside. Melt the butter or olive oil on low heat in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook without browning for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the milk quickly. When the sauce is smooth return to the stove and cook over medium heat for about 18-20 minutes stirring until it is thicker, about the consistency of cream. Do not burn. Add 80% of the cheese and stir until smooth. Add cooked potatoes, salt, and pepper and fold all together. Pour into a serving casserole and sprinkle the remaining 20% of cheese over the top along with paprika. Bake in 375°F oven for 30 minutes.

Keyingredient.com uses 'cookies' to give you the best, most relevant experience. Using this website means you're ok with this. You can change which cookies are set at any time and find out more about them by following this link.

Please describe your issue: