Chicken And Caponata Salad
- 1/2 medium escarole head torn bite size
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boned skinned chicken breast halves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, plus
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (or the equivilant of red wine vinegar plus 1/4 tspn sugar)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 can prepared caponata - (7 1/2 oz) (such as Progresso brand)
Place escarole in large salad bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until springy to touch, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
Add shallot to skillet and stir 1 minute. Add orange juice and 2 tablespoons vinegar and boil until reduced to glaze. Remove skillet from heat. Whisk in orange peel, mustard and remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar. Gradually whisk in remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Add chicken and caponata to escarole. Add dressing and toss to coat.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled or tripled.