Gourmet Chicken Marsala
This was the "Better Chicken Marsala" recipe that America's Test Kitchen introduced in 2016. It is out of this world!
- 2-1/4 C dry Marsala
- 4 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
- 4 (6- to 8-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 C chicken broth
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 oz. pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I don't do pork so I substitute a few dashes of Liquid Smoke)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 tsp minced fresh parsley
1. Bring 2 cups Marsala, gelatin, and porcini mushrooms to boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and vigorously simmer until reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast in half crosswise, then cut thick half in half again horizontally, creating 3 cutlets of about the same thickness. Place cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to even 1/2-inch thickness. Place cutlets in bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Strain Marsala reduction through fine-mesh strainer, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Return Marsala reduction to saucepan, add broth, and return to boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and simmer until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
4. Spread flour in shallow dish. Working with 1 cutlet at a time, dredge cutlets in flour, shaking gently to remove excess. Place on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Place 6 cutlets in skillet and lower heat to medium. Cook until golden brown on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. Return cutlets to wire rack. repeat with 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 6 cutlets.
5. Return now-empty skillet to medium-low heat and add pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, scraping pan bottom to loosen brown bits, until pancetta is brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add cremini mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping pan bottom, until liquid released by mushrooms evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer cremini mushrooms and pancetta to bowl. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and shallot to pan and cook until softened, 1 minute. Add tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add reduced Marsala mixture, remaining 1/4 cup Marsala, lemon juice, and oregano and bring to simmer.
6. Add cutlets to sauce and simmer for 3 minutes, flipping halfway through simmering. Transfer cutlets to platter. Off heat, whisk in butter. Stir in parsley and cremona mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.