DAIRY-FREE PEPPERMINT PATTIES (GLUTEN, DAIRY, EGG, SOY, PEANUT & TREE NUT FREE; TOP 8 FREE; VEGAN)
A rich chocolate coating enveloping a soft, chewy peppermint center is the perfect holiday treat. Six ingredients, no bake and easy to make, even kids will have fun rolling the dough into balls. This dessert can also feed just about anyone as it's gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut free; as well as top-8-free and vegan.
Author: Allergy Awesomeness
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2.5 dozen
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life or Pascha are brands we like)
- 1 Tablespoon dairy-free, soy-free shortening
- Crushed peppermint candy canes, if desired
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from allergyawesomeness.com
1. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the wet ingredients. Then, slowly add the powdered sugar. Allow it to stir for several minutes until it's clumpy and as together as it can be.
2. Move the mixture to a clean surface and knead with your hands until it's a uniform ball. The warmth of your hands will help it become a solid mass.
3. Using a cookie scooper, or eye balling it, form even patties with your hands. Place them on a cookie sheet with wax paper.
4. In a microwave safe bowl, add the shortening and dairy-free chocolate chips. 5. Microwave on high for 1 minute and then stir. Continue to do this in one minute increments until the chocolate is thoroughly melted.
6. Drop one patty at a time into the melted chocolate mixture. Use a fork to gently turn it and make sure it's coated on each side.
7. Place the freshly dipped patty back onto the wax paper. If desired, while it's still wet, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy canes.
8. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before eating. If you need to speed up this process, you can place the tray in the fridge.