Chick’n & Cashew Chow Mein
- 1 package imitation chick’n (approx 8 oz)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 large carrots, sliced into coins
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, sliced (I only use 1/2 can but if you don’t want to waste use it all)
- 1 8 oz can bamboo shoots (I only use 1/2 can but if you don’t want to waste use it all)
- 1/2 cup cashew, chopped to break them up a bit and seem like there is more
- 1 cup sugar snap pea pods
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2-3 Tablespoons Braggs liquid amino
- 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon or more powdered ginger
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked according to directions
Toasted sliced almonds
Cook rice according to package directions which should take approximately 45 minutes.
While rice is cooking heat a wok or large frying pan to medium heat and add the 1/2 cup vegetable broth and all the chopped vegetables except the pea pods and the cashews and steam until cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Once vegetables and rice have about 10 minutes left cook the chick’n in a frying pan with a small amount of cooking spray or a dry in a really good non stick skillet until browned and cooked through.
In a mixing bowl mix together the vegetable broth, braggs, soy sauce, ginger and corn starch. Whisk until it is smooth and add to the cooked vegetables and stir until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and add the chick’n and cashews to coat with the sauce and mix with the vegetables. You can add more soy sauce or ginger by the taste.
Pour approximately 1/2 cup of rice onto a plate and top with vegetable mixture and then top that with chow mein noodles or almonds
You'll also love
- Chinese Chow Mein 5/5 (1 Votes)