Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chunk Bars
This is another awesome recipe from The Modern Baker Cookbook. It contained all the elements I love in one delicious bar. But please let it cool completely--I even put it in the refrigerator. It was beyond delicious.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups sweetened coconut
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces bittersweet/semisweet chocolate chunks, cut in 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
Adapted from cgharris.blogspot.com
1 9x13 inch pan, buttered and lined with foil, buttered again.
1. Set a rack on the lowest level, turn oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the dough, dtir together the flour, baking powder and salt. set aside.
3. Beat the butter with the sugar in an electric mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed. Beat about 3 minutes till light and soft.
4. On the lowest speed add the flour mixture, continue to mix until dough is smooth
5. Scrape dough in the prepared pan. Press the dough down evenly, without compressing it too much. Bake the dough aout 15 minutes until it is puffed and set.
6. Set the pan on a rack. Meanwhile prepare the topping. Place the broown sugar in a bowl, use a rubber scraper and work in the four eggs, one at a time. Stir in the granulated sugar and vanilla, fold in coconut.and pecans. Fold in the chocolate chunks or chips.
7. Scrape the topping onto the prebaked dough, using a small offset spatula.
8. Bake until the filling is set and nicely colored, 25-30 minutes.
9. Cool in the pan on a rack. Lift the slab of baked dough out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cool completely before cutting--refrigerate if necessary.
10. Prepare to be amazed, these are one awesome treat!