Lemon Cranberry Scones
From New York Times
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (from about 3 lemons; preferably Meyer)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons additional if using fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries, chopped coarse, or 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Accompaniment: crème fraîche or whipped cream
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
With a vegetable peeler remove the zest from lemons and chop fine, reserving lemons for another use.
In a food processor pulse flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and zest until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a large bowl.
In a small bowl toss together fresh cranberries and 3 tablespoons sugar and stir into flour mixture. If using dried fruit, add to flour mixture.
In another small bowl lightly beat egg and yolk and stir in cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
On a well-floured surface with floured hands pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round (about 8 inches in diameter) and with a 2-inch round cutter or rim of a glass dipped in flour cut out as many rounds as possible, rerolling scraps as necessary. Arrange rounds about 1 inch apart on baking sheet and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until pale golden.
Serve scones warm with crème fraîche or whipped cream. Scones keep, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, chilled, 1 day or frozen 1 week.
You'll also love
- Olive Oil-Poached Cod with... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Ratatouille Skillet Eggs 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Fig Crusted Salmon 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Crab & Meyer Lemon 'Pasta' 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry Trifle 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sautéed Sugar Snap Peas with Pine... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Ocean Spray Cranberry Fruit Nut... 4/5 (1 Votes)