King Ranch Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds of Tyson chicken, without skin and bones
- 4 teaspoons of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 10oz. can of Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 cups of grated cheddar
- 10 corn tortillas
- salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the chicken in the olive oil on medium, adding 2 teaspoons of lime juice, 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder and salt to taste.
2. When chicken is done (after about 20 minutes), shred it with two forks and set aside. Should yield about 3 cups.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium, and add the onions and green chilies. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, flour, cumin, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder, and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken broth and cook on low until mixture is thickened, a few minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and Ro-Tel cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Uncover the pot, and add the sour cream, 2 teaspoons of lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Heat up the tortillas (you can do this by adding a bit of oil on an iron skillet and then cooking the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side).
9. Ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
10. Layer half the tortillas along the bottom of the pan (on top of the sauce). To make sure entire pan is evenly covered, you can rip some of the tortillas into strips to fill any gaps.
11. Add half the chicken, half the remaining sauce, half the remaining cilantro and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese.
12. Repeat the layering, leaving the cheese layer on top.
13. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling. Serves 6-12, depending on how big a portion you distribute. Goes great with sour cream