Thai Grilled Beef Salad
- 8 cups thinly-sliced red and/or white cabbage
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla) (available at Asian markets)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small rib - eye steaks - (8 to 10 oz ea)
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons minced lemongrass (available at Asian markets)
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded Thai chile or serrano chile
Combine sliced cabbage, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce in large bowl; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper; set cabbage mixture aside for up to 30 minutes.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked to desired doneness, 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to work surface; cut crosswise into thin slices.
Place sliced steaks in large bowl. Add shallots, onion tops, cilantro, mint, lemongrass, and chili, then remaining 3 tablespoons lime juice and 2 tablespoons fish sauce. Toss to blend. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Divide cabbage mixture among 4 plates. Top each with beef salad.
This recipe yields 4 main-course servings.