Twice-Cooked Sweet Potatoes with Citrus and Honey Recipe
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved (or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon tamari (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Adapted from southernliving.com
1. Prick the sweet potatoes in a few places with a fork. Rub all over with the oil; sprinkle with pepper and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil in a cold oven. Set oven temperature to 350°F, and bake sweet potatoes until the potato flesh has pulled away from the skins and potatoes are completely soft, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove potatoes from the oven, and cool 15 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
2. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop pulp into a bowl, leaving shells with 1/4 inch of flesh intact. Place 6 shells in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; discard remaining 2 shells.
3. Process sweet potato pulp, butter, cream, orange zest, vanilla bean seeds, 1 tablespoon of the honey, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and, if desired, tamari until smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs, and process until blended, about 1 minute. Spoon filling into reserved skins.
4. Bake sweet potatoes at 400°F until filling is puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Drizzle sweet potatoes with remaining 1 tablespoon honey and a very light dusting of freshly grated nutmeg, and serve.
You'll also love
- Rice Noodles with Pork and Ginger... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Warm Crab & Spinach Dip 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Cranberry Sauce with Bourbon & Mint 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Avocado Egg Salad 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Paleo Sweet Potato Pie 3.3/5 (4 Votes)
- PORK - Citrus Herb Glazed Ribs 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Tea Cake 4/5 (3 Votes)