Steak Fajitas with Onions and Peppers
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- Juice of 3 limes, plus wedges for serving
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 4 bell peppers (red, orange and/or yellow), thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 to 12 flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Mix the paprika, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, ancho powder, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
Put the steak in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the juice of 1 lime, 1 tablespoon olive oil and the spice mixture; seal the bag and rub the spices into the meat. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Meanwhile, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the bell peppers and red onions with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the juice of the remaining 2 limes and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and charred around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
Preheat a grill to medium high and brush the grates with olive oil. Grill the steak 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
Warm the tortillas as the label directs. Slice the steak against the grain and season with salt. Serve on the tortillas with the onions and peppers; top with cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.