Orange Chocolate Loaf Cake from Florida
A plain, moist, dark loaf flavored with orange rind and steeped in orange juice after it's baked. Great in the morning with coffee!
This recipe is from Maida Heatter's book of Great Chocolate Desserts.
- 1 1/4 cup sifted, all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice (without pulp)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 100mins
Adjust the rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter a 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.75-inch loaf pan (about 6 cup capacity) and then dust it with fine, dry bread crumbs. Shake out the excess and set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar and set aside.
Beat the cream and vanilla in an electric mixer until it holds soft peaks, On low speed add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl and only beating until the egg is incorporated.
Gradually add the dry ingredients scraping down the bowl and beating only until just smooth.
Remove from the mixer and stir in the grated rind.
Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 65 minutes until the top springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip (not a cake tester this cake will be moist)
As soon as the cake goes into the oven mix the OJ with the 3 tablespoons of sugar and let it stand while baking.
After you remove the cake from the oven let it cool for 5 minutes.
Then, a little at a time, brush the glaze all over the cake encouraging most to run down the sides between the cake and pan but make sure the top is soaked also. This cake is going to soak all this up if you go slowly enough.
Let the cake stand in the pan until it is completely cool. Cover it with a piece of wax or parchment paper. Invert the cake into your hand (go slow here, if it's stuck loosen the side with a knife) take off the pan and turn right side up again.
You'll also love
- Cabbage and Noodles 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- enchilada stuffed spaghetti squash 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Campfire Bananas Foster 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa for Two 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Lemon Lavender Plantain Pancakes 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Pain d’Épices à l’orange:... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Buena Vista Loaf Cake 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Raspberry and Coconut Loaf Cake 3.7/5 (106 Votes)