Spinach & Gruyère Quiche
- 1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie crust
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyère
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung free of water
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from onceuponachef.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove pie crust from freezer and thaw until just soft enough to easily prick with a fork, about 10 minutes. Prick bottom and sides all over with a fork. Bake on center rack until fully cooked and lightly golden, between 10-15 minutes depending on the brand. (Keep an eye on it...if it puffs up while cooking, gently prick it with a fork so it will deflate.) Set aside and turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Heat butter in a small saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook shallots until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper.
Place cooked pie shell on a baking sheet (this makes it easy to move in and out of oven). Spread shallots over bottom of cooked crust, then sprinkle grated Gruyere over top. Scatter spinach evenly over cheese (breaking up clumps as best you can), then pour egg mixture over top.
Bake at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes until custard is set and top is lightly golden. Serve hot or warm.
Note: I usually defrost the frozen spinach quickly by placing it in a fine mesh strainer and running hot water over it. I then gather the spinach into a ball and squeeze it dry. It takes a few minutes of squeezing and re-squeezing to get all the water out. Be patient...you need the spinach completely dry, otherwise your quiche will be watery.
You'll also love
- Oreos & Candy Cane Chocolate Bark... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Parm Lasagna 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Simple Orzo Pilaf 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Ginger Limeade 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Banana Split Trifle 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Beef-Stuffed Zucchini Recipe 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Garlic & Chicken Piccata 4.5/5 (8 Votes)