Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast
- 1 lb loaf Sourdough Or French Bread, cut into chunks
- 3 cups (326g) chopped apples (2 large apples)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups (480ml) milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (36g) light brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- STREUSEL TOPPING
- 3/4 cup (98g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (169g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, cut into pieces
Adapted from lifeloveandsugar.com
1. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
2. Combine the bread chunks and chopped apples and lay in an even layer in the bottom of the dish.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, minus the streusel, and pour evenly over bread. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight.
4. When ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
5. Bake the casserole for about 35-40 minutes.
6. While casserole bakes, in another bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the streusel. Add the butter and mash into the dry mixture until it forms a crumbly mixture.
7. Remove the casserole from the oven and crumble the streusel over the top of the casserole.
8. Continue baking casserole for about 5 minutes, or until the streusel is melted over the top.
9. Serve the casserole warm with syrup.