- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds chopped plum tomatoes - (abt 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese (packed)
- 8 freshly-cooked lasagna noodles halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomatoes with any juices; simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup basil. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir ricotta cheese in small saucepan over medium-low heat until just heated through. Add mozzarella cheese; stir just until melted, about 1 minute. Season to taste with pepper.
Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce into bottom of each of 4 shallow bowls. Place 2 hot lasagna noodle halves side by side atop sauce in each bowl. Top with 1/4 of cheese mixture, then with 2 more noodle halves. Divide remaining sauce among bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining 2 tablespoons basil; serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 314; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 10 mg.