Italian Sausage And Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage casings removed, crumbled into 1/2" pieces
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms stemmed, dark
- gills scraped out, caps diced
- 10 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 cups Madeira
- 6 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups arborio rice - (abt 13 oz) (or other medium-grain rice)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly-grated Asiago cheese
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add all mushrooms, thyme, and oregano and sauté until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup Madeira; boil until almost absorbed, about 1 minute. Set aside.
Bring stock to simmer in large saucepan; remove from heat and cover to keep hot. Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup Madeira; simmer until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup hot stock; simmer until almost absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, adding more stock by cupfuls, stirring often and allowing most stock to be absorbed before adding more, about 25 minutes.
Stir in sausage mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Pass cheese separately.
This recipe yields 8 first-course servings.
You'll also love
- Ground Sirloin Patties With Red... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Spiced Lamb, Saffron... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Scallops With Vegetables... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Green Onion And Mushroom Omelet 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Rice With Peppers, Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Sausage And Gorgonzola Pizza 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Escarole With Italian Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Italian Sausages With Broccoli... 0/5 (0 Votes)