Grilled Spiced Lamb, Saffron Vegetables, Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 racks lamb - (1 1/2 lbs ea) fat trimmed, and cut into individual chops
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large shallots peeled, sliced thin
- 2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon saffrom threads
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 large turnips peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 large rutabagas peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Red Bell Pepper Sauce (see recipe)
For lamb: Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Place chops on large rimmed baking sheet. Pour marinade over, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
For vegetables: Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, leeks, saffron, and turmeric; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, turnips, carrots, and rutabagas. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, prepare barbecue (medium heat). Brush grill with oil. Remove lamb from marinade, scraping off some of excess marinade. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Divide grilled lamb chops among 6 plates. Serve with saffrom vegetables and Red Bell Pepper Sauce.
This recipe yields 6 servings.