Grilled Scallops With Vegetables And Hoisin-Orange Sauce
- 1 jar hoisin sauce sauce - (8 1/2 oz) (available at Asian markets)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce (available at Asian markets)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (nam pla) (available at Asian markets)
- 1 bunch watercress trimmed
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 medium carrot peeled, and cut into matchstick-size strips
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves - (from large bunch)
- 1/2 red onion very thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 large sea scallops
- Vegetable oil
For sauce: Mix all ingredients in bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)
For vegetables: Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Add watercress, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, and onion and toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes or chill up to 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
For scallops: Stir coriander seeds in small skillet over medium heat until fragrant and slightly darker, about 2 minutes. Transfer seeds to plastic bag. Using mallet or hammer, coarsely crack seeds. Combine sesame oil and ginger in medium bowl; mix in coriander seeds, then scallops. Let stand at least 30 minutes or chill up to 1 hour.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Thread 3 scallops onto each of 4 skewers. Brush barbecue rack with oil to prevent sticking. Grill scallops until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side.
Divide vegetables among 4 plates. Top each with scallops and serve, passing hoisin-orange sauce separately.
This recipe yields 4 appetizer servings.
You'll also love
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (168 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Maple Seared Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beach House Seafood Strata 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Delight 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scallops With Maple Mustard Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)